Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Case of the Itchy Belly

So it turns out that the itchy belly I have is not just from stretch marks, but rather a pregnancy rash that occurs in less than 1% of prego women, where your skin actually has an allergic reaction to the stretch marks and causes a rash inside the stretch marks. Weird, eh? The major symptoms are the red inflammation (your skin feels like a mountain range), extreme itchiness and not being able to sleep (you can imagine). So anyways, Scott and I found this on the internet yesterday and I was in so much discomfort that we went to the local clinic and waited 2 hours to see the doctor at the end of his shift. My shirt was up above my belly the whole time at the clinic b/c anything touching my tummy would irritate it...it made me think about how in labour you just don't care about being exposed you are so concerned with other things- this was like a mini practice. ANyways, thank the Lord, he was able to give me some steriod cream that allowed me to sleep all thru the night!! Yeah! If you want to find out more about this interesting condition, check out www.babycentre.com and the name of it is PUPPP (it's a really, really long name). Ok bye for now, thanks for everyone's encouraging words and prayers!

9 comments:

Amy said...

So glad you found relief from your itchy belly! Praying for you in these last few days.

Unknown said...

Yeesh, that sounds not very fun at all. I'm glad you got some itch relief and some much needed sleep!!

Matt, Christine, Elijah, Joseph, Sarah, & Oliver said...

I am so glad you have some relief! I think that a girl on "house" had that same condition last week. You can learn from entertainment!

I can't wait to hear your news and meet your new little one-to-come! Rest up:).

Anonymous said...

Glad you got something that could help with that; I can only imagine how incredibly annoying it would be. Hope it continues to stay away.

Seeing as it's pretty much an Any Day Now sort of thing, I just wanted to say good luck with things in advance, just in case the two of you became the three of you the next time you show up online. Until then (and after, of course), take care of yourself. :)

-PS

Mo the Mama said...

So true about not caring what people see when you are birthing...you become super woman! Or I guess more-super woman! Any pregnant woman is already pretty super! Call me anytime!
Mo

The Barretts said...

Hey Dee,

My friend had PUPPP. I should have mentioned it in my last comment because I had a feeling that's what it could have been. Glad to hear that you got some cream and had a good sleep!

Count down is on...keep us updated!!!

Melanie said...

I am glad that you were able to get some sleep last night! And that the doctor helped you! It depends on the level of pain, itchiness I guess. Most women have some itchiness but not extreme. I'm glad that it was resolved - so sorry you were in so much pain/discomfort! When in doubt ask the doctor! The worst he can do is send you back home. Best to check!

Anonymous said...

...i guess little owen/emily dee is just "itching" to get out and see your beautiful face...

Sarah O. said...

Hooray! Just got the email from Frank, congratulations you two! You'll both be great with a baby girl. Can't wait for the pictures and the visits, now.

:)