Thursday, May 31, 2007

6 Weeks Old Already!

6 weeks...can you believe it? Actually, I can...there's been a very steep learning curve here at the Kohler Household as we've gone from total confusion and chaos to some sense of routine and a better understanding of Emily and all things baby:) I still haven't made much contact with the outside world- even though I've made a few feeble attempts and left some messages-to which people have responded- and I've yet to return their returned phone calls...if this is you, please know you are not alone and that one day I'll actually be organized enough to make some calls:)

So the newest exciting thing here is that Emily is now 6 weeks old and we're anxiously awaiting- and trying without shame to instigate- a smile from Emily...she smiles in her sleep all the time, and last night when I was feeding her she fell asleep and laughed in her sleep!! It was so cute and then when she opened her eyes she saw a very pleasantly surprised, wide-eyed mommy staring down at her and looked at me with this puzzled look on her face- it was pretty funny:)

You'll also see a pic of Scott bottle feeding Emily...that's because today I started pumping breast milk so I can have a little more freedom- I find it so adorable to watch her drink from a bottle, but it's also awesome being able to directly provide for her- so I'm glad to be breastfeeding, too.

We went to the doctor's this week for my postpartum check-up and everything's fine with me besides this crazy rash which has completed another outbreak cycle and now is disappearing, while my skin remains, sometimes insanely, itchy. When we saw the allergist last week she told us that yes it seems like a drug rash for sure, and that it can take up to 2 months for a drug/allergen to clear out of your bloodstream. It seems that sometimes the immune system gets switched on and has a hard time shutting off- which seems to be the case with the labour drugs and my rash...so hopefully it's only a few weeks away from being completely over- it's mostly bothersome at night sincce there are fewer distractions and I just lay there feeling itchy all over...ugh:( Emily was checked out and she was great and now weighs 9lbs8ozs!

Also, at church this week the oldest member of our church, Mary, turned 95, and she wanted to have her picture taken with the youngest person in the church- Emily! So enjoy those pics- they're super cute. Emily is also starting to make more baby noises, not just silence or crying...so that's been really really cute and special for us. She also doesn't sleep much in the day now- only 20 minute naps here and there...but she IS sleeping thru most nighttimes and giving us a straight 5 hour rest!! Yeah and Praises for that! Enjoy the pics!!:

Pretty Profile:)
Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed
A classic Emily face:)
Em and daddy playing on the floor
Our little Angel

Us and Mary during the morning service

We set up some blankets so Em can play on the floor-she kicks a lot (just like when she was inside me!) and I think that's how she gets her excercise:)
Auntie Miranda and Em striking a pose
Our friends Mark and Brandy gave us this kid's book all about the firstborn child (Scott thought it was so cute) so I read it to Emily and it made me cry!:)
Scott gets to feed the baby!

9 comments:

Shawn, Bev, and Family said...

That is terrific guys! So happy for and proud of you all for sticking through the rough early times in order to enjoy what comes after you get the hang of a few things...soon she'll be going to school just like our first borns will in August. Crazy! Thanks for the update, we think of and pray for you often.

Melanie said...

She is so beautiful!

Matt, Christine, Elijah, Joseph, Sarah, & Oliver said...

Thanks for the update! Emily is looking adorable, as always:). I am so thrilled for you that she is giving you a good night's sleep - at last!!! I'm sure it makes all the difference in your days.
Looking forward to our girls next play-date, whenever that should happen.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations - Shelly and I are very happy for you.

We are also happy to have the book back....the long way home!

David

Anonymous said...

ahh...so cute. I got to see Aiden this weekend, and he is doing alot of things Emily is. So amazing!

Nathalie

The Barretts said...

The first six weeks can be very difficult due to the lack of sleep, and all the learning that needs to be done by both parents & baby! Hopefully that smile will come soon...that really does help!

Glad you are both doing well. Emily is beautiful as always and I always enjoy seeing her pics and hearing your updates! Keep up the great work !!

Kevin, Sonya, Claire & Max said...

Dee - Kevin and I love the picture of Emily yawning.

Mo the Mama said...

I'd love to see that book. Sounds great. Dr. William Sears calls those sleep smiles inner contentment! Everything is right in little Emily's world! I think that sounds so much more believable than just gas!!

Anonymous said...

As one trained in water safety I have been informed of the danger involved in boating without a personal floatation device. I must say I am quite happy to see everyone wearing one in those pictures. Good work having fun AND keeping safe!